OK, time to fess up. Who has ever “fixed” something with the secret hope that you actually make it worse and you have to fix it for real?
I have never done this consciously, but I will admit that there have been times when I’ve not been too upset that my DIY fail ended up being what I really wanted in the first place.
Remember the wall sanding operation that I took on in the hallway to get rid of the hideous texture a few weeks ago? Well, that’s still going on (the last phase of chipping and smoothing before skim coating can begin) but one small improvement has taken place that I am very excited about.
The thermostat was, for some reason, put smack dab in the middle of the one large wall in that hallway. It has irritated me to no end because I always thought that would be the perfect place to hang a nice-sized piece of art.
So I asked Mr. Much More Patient, who handles all DIY projects related to electricity in our house, if he could please move over a bit. I’d love to offer you a tutorial on how he did that but here’s how it would read:
- Go to Home Depot and buy a big spool of some plastic-coated wire. The brown one.
- Drill a small hole above the light switch (with the knowledge that the switch must be attached to a stud so therefore there’s a stud there).
- Remove the vent cover and peer up into the wall with a flashlight, noting that previous owners used 2-inch long nails to fasten the wainscotting to the wall and rarely hit a stud.
- Try to feed wire down the hole you just drilled and get frustrated when it gets caught on the electrical line until clever wife (that’s me) suggests using a wire hanger to reach in there and grab it.
- Feed wire down the side of the vent to the basement.
- Then do something in the basement for awhile that I presume involves hooking up wires to the furnace but I don’t really know.
|Poor little Nest thermostat having to live in it’s box for another week or so.|
Speaking of the wall, here’s a peek at what it is looking like now. I actually took this picture (complete with hideous sconce) for the bathroom post the other day, but it’s a good look at the hallway on the right, juxtaposed with the wall texture in the bathroom, which is what we removed in the hallway. The new location of the thermostat is over that light switch.
You’ll notice that I’ve painted the wainscotting, and we’ve finished scraping and sanding down the walls, so this weekend I’ll start the skim-coating.
One more thing: I’m sure a bunch of you are bound to point out that it is not a good idea to have the thermostat directly over a vent. I agree. Since that vent is quite large (those old-fashioned vents are actually one of the more charming features in our house), it’s actually under the original thermostat location too, and there’s really no where else to put it. Also, we keep that vent closed most of the time anyway (we don’t really need to heat our hallway). It’s not perfect, but it’ll work.