There is efficient gardening and then there is the kind of gardening you do when a rainstorm is predicted that night. The latter kind of gardening is bound to leave with sore muscles where you didn’t know you had muscles, very dirty and utterly spent.
|I gave the patio chairs a new blue hue. I wish it was more navy, but you take what you can get when it comes to spray paint. They were dry by the time the rain came that night.|
That’s the kind of gardening I did Sunday. I also had a few painting projects started on Saturday—spraying the patio chairs and painting the cellar doors—to finish up. Among the day’s gardening accomplishments:
- I planted two small hornbeams that I picked up on a bit of lark (and to test whether they really are deer resistant before I invest in more). Hornbeams will pleach (grow together), so ideally some day they will form a bit of a raised gateway to the vegetable gardening area.
- I planted 15 or so bareroot irises along the little creek. I’m hoping they will love this spot and take over an area that is otherwise nothing great to look at.
- Stuck an equal number of small trillium bulbs in the shade garden (which needs tons of work; lots of plant labels acting as tombstones this year).
- Dug out all of the Russian sage (Perovski atriplicifolia) and the drumstick alliums (Allium sphaerocephalon) out of the skinny patio garden and moved them to the other side of the house. Also rescued a healthy clematis (I think it’s ‘Mrs. N. Thompson’), hopefully rescued another (maybe ‘Westerplatte’) and declared a pathetic little tangutica not worth the effort.
- Potted up some of the ostrich ferns (Matteuccia struthiopteris) that are in the way of path in the woods to sell at our master gardener plant sale at the end of the month.
- Dug out much of the “soil” in the skinny patio bed that has been giving me so much trouble and replaced with with bagged garden soil, top soil, compost and manure.