I didn’t bother to look up the history of the kissing ball, but I imagine it goes something like this: Mistletoe is ugly but people still need an excuse to kiss, so someone invented a ball covered in greens, called it a kissing ball and people started smooching under it. Works for me.
Anyway, I recently took a class on how to make a kissing ball. Other than a few small tricks that make your life a little easier, this is the biggest no-brainer project ever.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-inch oasis floral foam, really well saturated (overnight or all day).
- A chopstick, sharpened pencil, skewer or something else long and pokey.
- A 12-inch chenille pipe cleaner, preferably green.
- A bit of string, anything will do.
- A 1-inch piece of a twig, or a cut from the previously mentioned poking device.
- A selection of greens.
- A length of pretty ribbon.