In Week 1 (which I just published a couple days ago) I laid out the room, the issues, the challenges and a very rough design concept. But any renovation of that room would fail if I didn’t deal with the main issue in the room: the floor.
The existing floor—pink and blue sheet sheet vinyl—could be described as hideous at best. This was not something that I could just design around. And honestly it wasn’t really the best kind of flooring for this space. In fact, flooring in this space has a long list of qualities it needs to have:
- Durable. This is a hard working space because we are constantly walking back and forth through that space to get to the utility side of the basement.
- Able to deal with water issues. We have two sump pumps in the basement—one on each side—that manage the rare water issues we have down there. That side of the basement has never had a real water problem other than the one time the sump pump failed, but it’s a basement, so water can happen.
- Add warmth. The basement isn’t well insulated and although there is heat down there, the space is naturally cooler than the rest of the house.
- Dampen sound. Even with low ceilings, the acoustics are not the best. Couple that with the likelihood that the washer or dryer could be running in the next room, or the furnace may kick on and it’s not exactly super quiet. Anything that can help dampen the sound would be good.
|The neutral options we considered (clockwise): Cement Gray, Alabaster, Bleached, Whitewashed and Natural in the middle.|
|Here’s the diagram we made showing what we plan to do with the random stripe design. Nothing like making things complicated.|